Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait pas

Monday, June 27, 2005

Mad Hot Ballroom

My new obsession with this really, really horrible "reality" television show prompted a friend to recommend Mad Hot Ballroom. This is a truly outstanding film. I smiled, grinned, laughed and cheered the whole way through. I am not a film reviewer, so won't even try. Just GO SEE THIS FILM. Trust me.

Best line:

During a discussion about whether they are "interested" in any of their partners in a boyfriend-girlfriend kind of way (keep in mind that these kids are in grade 5) :

"What do I look for in a boy? Well, he has to be really interested in school, and not deal drugs. yeah, he can't deal drugs, that's for sure. No dealing drugs."

I am paraphrasing, but you get the gist. This is their reality. Sad.

The other highlight for me was seeing the girls being so supportive of each other. They genuinely wanted each other to succeed. They cheered and clapped and encouraged ..... girls, especially of the adolescent variety, are generally catty and competitive and downright mean. These girls were there for each other in every sense. This gave me the warm fuzzies.

GO SEE THIS FILM

No comments: