Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait pas

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Further Adventures in Non-Dating

The next non-date was to be a Saturday hike up the back of Cypress Mountain with Maggie. "I'll pick you up around noon" was how we left things Friday.

Yippee!!!!

Saturday morning I took the mutt out for an early run and then brush her to make her even more fabulous than she already is (and we have established that she's fabulous, right??). Then I showered and shaved (??!!), buffed and puffed, moisturized, etc. Okay, I'll stop now. Suffice to say I was looking and smelling quite delicious. I had already agonized over what hiking ensemble to don so that I would look as fetching as possible, yet still be able to pull off the "this is what I found on the floor and what we always wear when trudging through the back country" act. I was positively giddy. Hair was next --- you know the look that takes ages to achieve but looks like you just rolled out of bed and have every intention of going right back there? Yeah, that one. But I never got there.

The phone rang. It was the very sheepish and pathetic sounding non-date. Bailing. Seems his brother's bachelor party the night before had got the better of him. (now I knew that this was a possibility, but had hoped he might have been sensible the night before, but no)

I was all cool and nonchalant and told him that Maggie would give him a much harder time about cancelling than I would, blah, blah, blah, you're too old for this crap (he's 44), blah, blah. We'll chat next week. Fine.

DAMMIT TO HELL, ANYWAY!!!!!

No matter, I called Tamara and off we went to a matinee of "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (not bad, but not nearly as scary as anticipated or hoped for).

FF to Monday - When I got back to the office from lunch, one of the girls stopped and asked if it was my birthday (May 30 for those keeping track. Gifts are, of course, always welcome). Nope, why? Well, there's a bouquet of flowers on your desk so I thought ....

Yippee!!! Must be "sorry about bailing Saturday, I'm a dumbass, let's go for dinner so that I can wine and dine you in the way you deserve" flowers!!!!

Nope.

Which is not to take away from the flowers, the person who sent them or the sentiment behind them. They are lovely and it was very thoughtful and certainly brightened my Monday.

3 weeks ago my life was nice and simple and uncomplicated. Now I am all edgy and fluttery and uncertain. Basically NOT IN CONTROL and this is not a way I like to be.

So, for the moment, as far as I am concerned, and with some exceptions, and you know who you are and know that I love you madly:
MEN SUCK!!!!!

No comments: