Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait pas

Thursday, May 12, 2005

The glory of crushes

The subject of first tv/movie crushes came up at work yesterday. Sarah-Jill Miller (Gimme a Break), Nancy McKeon (Facts of Life) and Valerie Bertinelli (One Day at a Time) were the objects of desire for the boys. River Phoenix (Stand by Me) and Jordan Knight (New Kids on the Block) were "da bomb" for the girls (yes, there is a slight age variable to factor in here).

I will disclose mine later.

This got me to thinking about crushes in general.

My current tv crush is certainly no secret. This blog has had more than one entry devoted to him. No more needs to be said on that topic (well, for now anyway).

Other current tv/movie crushes: Colin Firth (Mr. Darcy, sigh), Patrick Dempsey (golly, but he grew up well), Johnny Depp (like, duh)

I currently have a few other "crushes" in my life --- one of my co-worker's best friends, for instance. He is totally married with kids, but no matter. It is a purely non-sexual crush and I have even told him. He was amused (I think). As far as I am concerned, it is perfectly healthy and acceptable to have these non-sexual crushes; they add a certain excitement and pleasure to your day and harm no one. I have no desire to be a homewrecker and despise those who do. As long as everyone is up-front, where's the harm??

I saw a former crush the other day. I say former, because he now gives me the heebie-jeebies. This guy, we'll call him "Bob" (so not his real name), is a client of someone I used to work for. Tall, handsome, well dressed (Prada, baby), educated, successful, great family, smelled really good, etc. Charm exuded from his pores and I would swoon when he came to the office. Well not literally as I was most often seated at my desk, but you get the general idea. Anyway, Bob's matter took up a great deal of our time so he was at the office a lot and called a lot. Those around me would know when it was Bob on the phone as my face would quickly turn the colour of a ripe tomato. Bob's appeal was not lost on the rest of the ladies in the office and his arrivals could be felt reverberating throughout. My desk would suddenly become "the" spot to be in the office. Bob because a bit of a legend. However, Bob began to tarnish as I learned more about him outside the professional realm. Seems he was/is a well-know player in town and while this should not have come as a huge surprise -- young, single, attractive, rich, rich, rich, in a town where available men are few and far between, it did. I liked my version of him: nice family kind of guy. I know, I know, I must some day visit reality. So, my crush came crashing down to earth. Saw him yesterday entering our building. That crush is sooooooo over.






My first tv/movie crush? Donnie Osmond and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donny Osmond is your current crush?! Is he still on TV?? Maybe you're thinking of Tony Danza?

Anonymous said...

Davie Jones...
W.

Kathryn said...

read carefully, he was my first crush, silly =)

Tony Danza???? uh, no

Anonymous said...

so who's your current crush? when did you write about him??

Anonymous said...

Oh, I know...Ryan Seacrest! Then again, seems like you like 'em dark...soooo is it...David Hasslehoff on Baywatch re-runs?? How about Nick Lachay??
Or evennnn Tom Selleck?? Ted Danson post Whoopi Goldberg??

Anonymous said...

If it is Nick Lachay, just thought you'd like to know that his beautiful wife, Jessica Simpson, is on the cover of this month's COSMO in case you wanted to pick up a copy. He may soon be single due to his infidelities so you might actually have a chance!!

Kathryn said...

you people are very silly

current tv crush (in addition to the ones I listed for your convenience) - think dark, host of CBC show, nose ring, used to be on Much Music, last name rhymes with Stroumboulopoulos ...

though Tom Selleck does look pretty hot in those short shorts =)

PC said...

Donny Osmond... But he was soo geeky...

Kathryn said...

hey, that's my boyfriend you're talking about! okay, I was like 6 at the time, but whatever

I like geeks, what can I say?

Me thinks Cosmo Girl loves Mr. 98 Degrees ......

Anonymous said...

I saw "The Hour" for the first time this week (I only watched it because of you)and I have to admit that George has something going for him. He is very quick and quite amusing.
Good choice for a crush.
Good post too.
Thanks
Bri.
Crushes:
Old - Phoebe Cates
Current - Sarah Marchildon
ha ha

Anonymous said...

Your pirate impersonations are hilarious Finnigan!! Arr matey!!

Anyways, yeah...Nick Lachay is a hottie! Never heard of your crush though...sorry! Who is he?? Is he the red head guy that was a VJ on Music that's not on anymore...kinda looks like Clay Aiken?

My first movie crush was Steve Gutenburg...so HOT!

This Brian guy and your friend, Sarah totally have the hots for each other...arrr!!!

Anonymous said...

Isn't George Stroumboulopoulos the guy that Sarah is stalking, I mean has a crush on?! Don't tell me you're obsessed with him too..lol!!

Kathryn said...

yup, joint stalkers are we =)

wonder if I can get a referral fee from the CBC????

CosmoGirl, you are soooo funny

Anonymous said...

thanks Finnigan!! I've been told that before...buahahahah!!

Jill said...

totally giving away my age... i loved robby benson and leif garrett...

now i love (and for a long time) andy garcia and newly patrick dempsey...

in real life, i have a crush on my husband (as corny as that sounds)...

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you getting a referral fee from the CBC, but they may fine you!

Sarah Marchildon said...

Current celebrity crush: Same as Ms. Kathyrn. Plus, Ashton Kutcher is pretty freakin' easy on the eyes. I'd run away with Owen Wilson if he asked me to :)

Brian Lavery has a crush on me? What the...?

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Take her away, Owen!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you're also hot for George Stroumboulopoulos?? I had no idea...LOL!!

Sarah Marchildon said...

Cosmo Girl...too funny! I guess it's not that much of a secret, eh?

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Thought you might be interested in a blog website by this not very attractive cougar from Vancouver who's obsessed with George...she writes about how great and funny she thinks she is and about George all the time and even in her posts that aren't about him, you can totally tell she's trying to impress him like pretending to be good with kids, not drink too much, etc...it's sooooo funny! I can't remember the website but I'll try to find it and post it here soon! You guys would LOVE it!

Kathryn said...

"Anonymous" - I really hope you are kidding, re that site you want to recommend, because the author of said site is a friend

Anonymous said...

ughhhhh...*that* cougar is your friend?!? you can do much, much better!