Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait pas

Friday, September 01, 2006

I only carry real money

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT ANTI-AMERICAN. QUITE FOND OF OUR NEIGHBOURS TO THE SOUTH AS A MATTER OF FACT. HOWEVER, PEOPLE LIKE THE ONES DESCRIBED BELOW GIVE THE REST OF THEIR COUNTRY(WO)MEN A BAD NAME

I was getting coffee this morning on my way in to the office and there was a bit of a hold-up at the front of the line. What was the cause of this hold-up? 3 Americans paying for their morning cup-o-jo with American currency. In and of itself an annoyance ---- the assumption that anyone will simply take American currency in a country other than the United States and give them the current and correct exchange rate. Imagine trying that in their country? Yeah, that'll happen --- they treat Canadian currency like it's Monopoly money and won't even take a Canadian penny for chrissakes!!!!!! When I was in the service industry (waiting tables, tending bar and the like) I would happily take American cash AT PAR. Amazing how many people accepted that. Yet I digress.

What made it worse than the fact that they simply assumed that the foreign currency would be accepted without question was the following statement:

"I only carry real money."

Nice.

No comments: